Sponsor: Klaus Tschira-Stiftung
Funding period: 2017-2018
Since its completion in 1916, the “Thiersch Tower” is the landmark of the Technical University of Munich (TUM). On the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the university's founding, TUM has restored and redesigned the historic structure on Gabelsbergerstraße with the generous support of the Klaus Tschira Stiftung (KTS) foundation. In the course of restoration TUM has removed three intermediate stories over the fourth floor to form the location for the new and impressive Tschira Forum. The foundation provided TUM with generous support for the remodeling and restoration activities. TUM will use the Tschira Forum for special academic events such as honorary ceremonies and anniversary celebrations and to receive prominent guests at the university. Read more
Sponsor: Friedrich Schiedel-Stiftung
Funding period: 2012-2021
TUM is setting up a Chair for Sociology of Science. For the first 10 years, it will be funded by the Friedrich Schiedel Foundation. It is part of the recently established Munich Center for Technology in Society (MCTS), which explores the interaction between technology and society. Scientists with backgrounds in engineering and natural sciences will be working alongside social scientists and humanists at the MCTS. The MCTS was inspired by the realization that innovative engineering and scientific discoveries can only be successful if they factor in their impact on society and are widely accepted by society.
Sponsor: Ingeborg and Senator E.h. Johannes B.Ortner
Opening of the nursery: 1st September 2010
The Ingeborg Ortner crèche on the Garching campus has 58 new places for children of TUM staff. The opening of this building, which is run by the Student Union Munich, is another step towards the university's aim of becoming the most family-friendly technical university in Germany. The project was made possible by a generous 1.6 million euro donation put up by Mr. and Mrs. Ortner. The Ingeborg Ortner crèche, including the grounds, was conceived entirely by TUM professors and won the 2010 Bavarian prize for timber construction (Holzbaupreis Bayern).
Sponsor: Andrea von Braun Stiftung, VDI
Date: 8 May 2008
Music and technology are an exciting combination. A concert given by the Munich Chamber Orchestra in the AudiMax lecture hall at TUM and conducted by Alexander Liebreich provided a good opportunity to hear what it sounds like when these two worlds converge. In between the pieces of music, the musicologist Rolf Basten expounded how technical-scientific progress over the past 250 years has influenced the development of »classical« music. Video clip of the world premiere of La vallée a rejoint la nuit (2007), composed by Anastasia Tzanou.
Sponsor: Friedrich Schiedel-Stiftung
Foundation of the day care center: 2008
The Friedrich-Schiedel Stiftung will cover half of costs for the foundation of a day care center which is located on campus Weihenstephan. The other half will be financed by the University’s Board, in order to remodel the “Karg-Villa”, a building on top of the Weihenstephaner Berg. This new day care center is named in memory of Dr. Gudula Wernekke-Rastetter, who was closely connected to the foundation. Being named after the Honorary Senator of the Technische Universität München Friedrich Schiedel (1913-2001), this foundation supports science and research as well as young, old and diseased people, children and expectant mothers.
Sponsor: Bilfinger Berger AG
Funding period: 2004 (support of an exposition)
The Museum of Architecture was established when the University was founded in 1868. Originally set up as a reference collection for research purposes it gradually developed into an archive functioning as a museum. Now containing about 350,000 drawings by 700 important architects (from Balthasar Neumann to Günter Behnisch), somewhere in the region of 100,000 photographs and 500 models, it is the largest collection devoted specifically to architecture in Germany today. Until 2002, the Museum of Architecture had no exhibition space of its own, but this was to change when it moved into the premises of the modern art museum Pinakothek der Moderne, the biggest new museum building to be erected on German soil, which was opened in September 2002.
Sponsor: Linde AG
Funding period: 2002-2022
Carl von Linde counts as one of the most prominent members of the TU München. He was not only an inspiring academic teacher but also an ingenious engineer and inventor. Not only did he bridge the gap between science and industry, the company founder also taught and practised social change and taking responsibility for one's own actions. It is the declared aim of the Carl von Linde Academy to impart these competences to science and engineering students of the TU München. A program of degree courses with a pronounced bias towards cultural aspects is designed to promote an understanding of leadership and cooperation, shaping the future, decision-making, risk assessment, shouldering responsibility and retaining an open mind that is receptive to change.
Sponsor: Honorary Senator Friedrich Schiedel
Installation of the Kindergarten: 2001
The establishment of a crèche on the campus of the TU München was something Friedrich Schiedel had set his heart on. Since September 2001 the TU München kindergarten named after its founder Friedrich Schiedel provides facilities for university staff's pre-school children to romp and play (to their heart's content). The kindergarten, located at Richard Wagner Strasse 14, which offers 24 places for 3 to 6-year olds, is staffed and run by Munich city council. Friedrich Schiedel (1913-2001) was Honorary Senator of the TU München and one of the university`s most generous mecenas.